Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Business isn't always all roses and chocolate

As a tribute to my single status, I had planned on an Anti-Valentine's Day girls night out with a friend. Ha! I should know the cake business had plans of its own. After a 200-cupcake tree, doll cake, tennis shoes cake, heart cake and a two-tiered birthday cake, I was beat! I had to cancel. Luckily, my friend understood and took a raincheck.

On one of my favorite cake forums, established business owners will always warn us newbies that starting a business is like starting a new life. There is so much to learn and do in order to have a successful business. Most of the hardest work is done before one even opens the door. I'm talking of competitive research, researching marketing strategies, researching your target audience, establishing your business' identity, etc... The list literally can go on for days. As hard and overwhelming as it is, these 'to-dos' are necessities.

So where am I in the process? I am in the middle of it all. I've already put my foot through the door. Whether I was invited or not, I love the party and I'm won't be going anywhere for a while. Is it tiresome? Do I sometimes wish I can rid myself of the party clothes and just veg-out on the couch? Absolutely. But as any girl will tell you, we will suffer for the sake of fashion. I will suffer for the sake of having a successful business. My family knows this. My friends know this. And now you know it.

As of next week, I will start a business course specifically designed for small/marco business owners. This is a huge step in further developing and expanding my business ideas. (Yes, I said ideas.) It's nerve-wrecking, but worth it. I'm living a life I love and I am determined to make the best of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment