Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Modern or traditional? Vanilla or red velvet? Don't lie, that's what's really keeping you up at night.

There's this ongoing joke on one of my favorites cake forums that says, "You know you're a cake decorator if....". People have answered everything from "photographing wallpaper at a friend's house because you think it'll make a great design on a cake" to "sat in church thinking, hmm, I wonder how I can replica the stained-glass windows". Yes, we cake decorators are in interesting breed. We breath and sleep cake. (I'd say eat too, but I really can't eat a customer's cake - that would just be wrong.) And while our families may tease us, our customers praise us. I mean it's not everyday our customers order their daughter's quinceaƱera cake or even their own wedding cake, and when it comes to narrowing down the details that's when our cake love comes into play.

Every cake decorator has a different consultation process. And every bride magazine will give brides a different list of questions she 'must' ask a baker. (I don't totally agree with them, but that's another post for another day.) Honestly, these lists are hit and miss. (Again, another topic another day.) Let me take you through my consulting process. First I'll nail down the logistics with you (servings needed, reception location, dates, times, etc..). Next we'll talk about what ideas you may already have. This is our starting point. Using the ideas you already have in mind, I'll design something around that.

If you don't have an idea, I'll ask about the colors you plan on using and details on any flowers or centerpieces. This will help me determine what kind of atmosphere the event will have. Then we'll look at the basic structure of the cake. Do you like it stacked? Do you want a fountain? Traditional or modern? Once we determine what you like best, the custom design starts.

Now comes the fun part! While I finalize the design details and cake sizes needed, you'll taste the delicious samples. This is probably the part grooms and dads like best. Who can blame them? At this point, you'll select up to 3 cake flavors for your cake.

To finish off the appointment, we review the details so I can mail you your contract within the next few weeks.

The process may seem overwhelming, but in reality it's not. I take you step-by-step to design a cake that screams YOU. I love designing, baking and making cakes that will be the edible centerpiece of your event, so that all you have to worry about is dancing the night away.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoy the consultation process too, but I'm amazed at how different every baker's process is. One of my local competitors only allows 15 minutes for a consultation and doesn't provide chairs because she doesn't want her customers to "get too comfortable". My consults last at least an hour (and sometimes two) and I make my customers as comfortable as possible. Enjoyed reading your blog posts!!

    ReplyDelete